The numbers, of course, tell only part of the story. But by just about any measure—research funding and donations, enrollment and employment, economic activity in the form of tech transfer—the University of Iowa is wrapping up a strong year.
Revenues and expenses for the General Education Fund and university-wide budgets during fiscal year 2013:
More info: Budget Development Office
External research funding topped $400 million for the fifth straight year, fueled by gains in corporate, industry, and philanthropic funds that helped offset cutbacks in federal research support:
- Fiscal year 2013 grants and contracts: $424 million
- Number of grants and contracts awarded: 2,130
Undergraduate enrollment held steady for 2013-2014 following the previous year’s record high, in keeping with plans to hold undergrad enrollment stable while work continues on essential campus facilities:
- Fall 2013 total enrollment: 31,065
- Undergraduates: 21,974
- Graduate and professional students: 9,091
- Iowa residents: 54.5%
- Minority enrollment: 13.6%
More info: Office of the Registrar
Total employment in fall 2013 remains close to 2012 levels:
- Fall 2013 total faculty and staff: 22,365 (22,278 in fall 2012)
- Tenured and tenure-track faculty: 1,613
- Clinical and clinical-track faculty: 584
- Postdoctoral and other faculty: 626
- Professional and scientific staff: 8,201
- General service staff: 4,448
- Residents: 744
- Graduate assistants: 2,512
- Temporary: 3,615
More info: Human Resources
Select stats from University of Iowa Health Care’s fiscal 2013 service record:
- Total admissions: 31,841
- Total days of inpatient care: 196,323
- Number of births: 1,939
- Total clinic visits statewide: 997,243
- Major surgeries: 28,668
- Organ and tissue transplants: 551
- Volunteer service hours: 116,424
- Meals served: 2,512,105
- Pounds of laundry processed: 5,268,442
UI discoveries continue to prove their commercial potential, generating patents, licenses, and revenue:
- Invention disclosures during fiscal year 2013: 98
- Patent applications filed: 142
- Patents issued: 74
- Licenses/options: 29
- Royalties and license fees: $1,381,709
- Patent cost reimbursements: $1,140,471
More info: UI Research Foundation
The UI and the University of Iowa Foundation marked progress on goals for the For Iowa. Forever More. comprehensive fund-raising campaign:
- Campaign gifts received by June 30, 2013: $1,055,333,861
- Percentage of $1.7 billion goal: 62%
- Number of campaign donors: Approximately 120,000
- Combined value of UI and UI Foundation endowments: $1.1 billion
More info: UI Foundation
A snapshot of the university’s standing in national surveys announced during 2013:
- U.S. News & World Report rank among U.S. public universities: 29
- Number of graduate programs ranked among the top 25 of their kind by U.S. News: 26
- U.S. News rank among best colleges for military veterans: 6
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance rank for resident tuition value: 49
- Kiplinger’s rank for nonresident tuition value: 72
- U.S. News rank among Iowa hospitals: 1
- Number of medical specialties on U.S. News “Best Hospitals” list: 6
- Number of pediatric specialties ranked by U.S. News: 7
- Sally Mason, president
- P. Barry Butler, executive vice president and provost
- Douglas K. True, senior vice president and university treasurer
- Mark Braun, chief of staff and vice president for external relations
- Joe Brennan, vice president for strategic communication
- Susan Buckley, vice president for human resources
- Carroll Reasoner, vice president for legal affairs and general counsel
- Daniel Reed, vice president for research and economic development
- Jean Robillard, vice president for medical affairs
- Thomas R. Rocklin, vice president for student life
University of Iowa news
- Find the day’s headlines at Iowa Now.
- For additional alumni news, visit the UI Alumni Association.
- The online home for UI sports is hawkeyesports.com.
- Follow the UI on Facebook.
- Subscribe to the UI Twitter feed.
- See more UI video on YouTube.
- Find photos of UI life on Instagram.
- Connect with the university on LinkedIn.
Support the university
The UI Foundation is the preferred channel for private contributions that benefit all areas of the university.
The UI Alumni Association is the trusted resource for all loyal Hawkeyes who want to remain actively engaged in the UI community.