Beginning in the afternoon of Friday, Nov. 10, the bicyclist and pedestrian route along First Avenue over Interstate 80 in Coralville will shift from the west side of First Avenue to the east side of First Avenue.
Bicyclists and pedestrians will use the new trail along the east side of First Avenue from the northeast corner of East Ninth Street, through two new trail tunnels, over the new trail bridge, to the River Products Co./hotel intersection, and then back to the west side of First Avenue via a pedestrian crosswalk signal.
The existing trail along the west side of First Avenue between East Ninth Street and the hotel entrance will be removed with the next phase of interchange reconstruction.
Motorists can expect these changes beginning Tuesday, Nov. 14, and continuing through most of December:
- Northbound and southbound traffic will shift to the east side of First Avenue across I-80 and will be one lane in each direction (head-to-head).
- The eastbound ramp onto I-80 for southbound traffic on First Avenue turning left will reopen.
- Northbound First Avenue approaching East Ninth Street will have only one through lane. The other through lane will become a dedicated right turn lane onto East Ninth Street.
- Once northbound First Avenue drivers reach the new bridge over I-80, First Avenue will widen to provide a separate turn lane onto the westbound I-80 ramp and a through lane to continue north on First Avenue.
- Due to the elevation difference between old and new First Avenue on the south side of the interchange, traffic on the eastbound I-80 off ramp approaching First Avenue will not be able to turn left onto northbound First Avenue. Traffic will be detoured east on I-80 to exit 244 (Dubuque Street), and back west on I-80 to First Avenue.
If you work at the UI Health Care Iowa River Landing clinic:
Southbound First Avenue traffic coming from the eastbound I-80 off ramp and southbound First Avenue traffic coming from the north side of the interchange will run side-by-side for a short distance before the left turn lane begins for East Ninth Street. Due to the shot distance involved, project engineers are asking daily commuters coming from the eastbound I-80 off ramp heading to the Iowa River Landing stay in their lane and continue on First Avenue until turning left at East Seventh Street. This lane configuration will stay in place until mid-December.
Visit coralville.org/1stAve80interchange for more information, including graphics of the completed project.
The Iowa Department of Transportation is reconstructing the interchange at I-80 exit 242 and First Avenue with a diverging diamond interchange. Major construction began in March 2023, and reduces First Avenue to one lane in each direction over I-80. First Avenue will remain one lane in each direction over I-80 into fall 2024.