As the fall semester gets underway, here are six ongoing projects that may affect travel around campus. Please remember to use caution when driving or walking near construction areas and allow extra time to reach your destination.
Keep reading to learn when and where these projects will take place, and plan accordingly.
ENGIE North America, the university’s utility provider, is installing new steam and condensate lines to the English-Philosophy Building (EPB) and the Main Library. The loading dock at EPB and a section of adjacent Parking Lot 3 will be closed through mid-October.
Construction at the Main Library will close the sidewalk on the north side of the building, east of the north entrance, through about mid-November. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction on Madison Street, on the east side of the building, in October and November.
- Affected area: Madison Street
- Project start date: August 2023
- Anticipated end date: December 2023
Grand Avenue Court is permanently closed for the construction of the Health Sciences Academic Building.
Starting in late November, the left lane of Melrose Avenue will be closed from Grand Avenue to Byington Road until August 2024.
- Affected area: Grand Avenue Court, Melrose Avenue
- Project start date: August 2023
- Anticipated end date: August 2024
ENGIE North America, the university’s utility partner, is working on an underground utility project near Carver-Hawkeye Arena and the Dental Science Building. Elliott Drive and Newton Road will see varying closures for utility work.
Road closures on Elliot Drive and Newton Road are expected to end in September, with restoration of sidewalk areas to follow.
- Affected area: Elliot Drive, Newton Road
- Project start date: February 2023
- Anticipated end date: Late September 2023
Water tower project in Parking Lot 75
ENGIE North America, the university’s utility partner, is building a new water tower northwest of the football practice fields. It will affect some parking spaces in Parking Lot 75, which is adjacent to Iowa’s practice facility.
This new water tower will replace the current water tower along Hawkins Drive, which will be removed to make room for a University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics patient care tower.
- Affected area: portions of Parking Lot 75 (estimated 20 to 30 spaces, open on football Saturdays)
- Anticipated start date: October 2023
- Anticipated end date: December 2025
Iowa Avenue and Riverside Drive pedestrian tunnel
The city of Iowa City has closed the pedestrian tunnel under Iowa Avenue at Riverside Drive due to safety concerns. Pedestrians will be rerouted to the crosswalk near EPB. The closure is expected to be long-term until repairs can be made.
- Affected area: Pedestrian tunnel under Iowa Avenue at Riverside Drive
- State date: Aug. 25, 2023
- Anticipated end date: Unknown at this time
Interstate 80/First Avenue interchange, Coralville
The Iowa Department of Transportation is reconstructing the interchange at I-80 exit 242 and First Avenue to a diverging diamond interchange, which has reduced First Avenue over I-80 to one lane in each direction until fall 2024.
This project will affect both patient and employee traffic to and from the UI Hospitals & Clinics' Iowa River Landing clinic. Cambus route 34 Research Park may experience service delays. The most updated information about the project can be found here.
- Affected area: First Avenue between Ninth Street and Holiday Road, exit 242, eastbound and westbound
- Start date: March 2023
- Anticipated end date: Summer/fall 2025