The Daily Iowan won top honors in seven of nine categories—including best student newspaper, best TV newscast, and best website—in a regional journalism competition run by the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).
The independent student newspaper also took first place for sports writing, videography, and photography, and was named a finalist in four categories, including in-depth reporting.
Student newspapers from Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska took part in the SPJ competition. First-place winners will compete at the national level against top finishers from the other 11 regions.
National winners will be notified in late spring and will be recognized at the SPJ’s convention in Las Vegas, Sept. 28-30.
In 2020, the SPJ named the DI the best daily student newspaper in the country. The paper was named Iowa’s best newspaper in 2020 and 2021 by the Iowa Newspaper Association.
The SPJ awards include:
In-Depth Reporting (Large)
- Finalist: “Documented dreamers: Navigating an unclear path to citizenship,” by Hannah Pinski, University of Iowa
- Winner: “Behind ‘The Bull’: An unfractured look at Iowa men’s wrestler Alex Marinelli,” by Austin Hanson, University of Iowa
- Finalist: “Iowa Heartlanders growing hockey in Johnson County,” by Isaac Goffin, University of Iowa
Corbin Gwaltney Award for Best All-Around Student Newspaper (Large)
- Winner: The Daily Iowan, University of Iowa
Best Affiliated Web Site
- Winner: dailyiowan.com, University of Iowa
General News Photography
- Winner: Roe v. Wade protest, by Grace Smith, University of Iowa
- Finalist: Rodeo, by Grace Smith, University of Iowa
- Winner: Balance beam, by Ayrton Breckenridge, University of Iowa
- Finalist: Steeplechase, by Jerod Ringwald, University of Iowa
- Winner: “Cy-Hawk Run: ROTC united,” by Daniel McGregor-Huyer and Ayrton Breckenridge, University of Iowa
Best All-Around Television Newscast
- Winner: DITV, The Daily Iowan, University of Iowa