University of Iowa Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel Carroll J. Reasoner has announced that she will retire once her successor is hired.
“I have been honored to have had the opportunity to serve my alma mater for the past thirteen years, but I am ready to retire and I am excited to spend more time with my family,” Reasoner says. “I came to the University as a transfer student in 1970 and received both a bachelor’s degree and juris doctorate degree from here. It has been the highlight of my career to work as general counsel and contribute back to this University.
Reasoner was named vice president for legal affairs and general counsel in October 2010 after serving two years as an interim in the position. Before joining the UI, she was a senior vice president at the Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C. law firm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
“Carroll is the epitome of what is fundamentally good about our institution and it has been an honor to have had the opportunity to work with her,” says UI President Barbara Wilson. “Her passion for the university and the state of Iowa is clear, and it shows in her exceptional work and community service.”
The university will begin a national search for Reasoner’s replacement, and has appointed Vice President for Research Marty Scholtz as the chair of the search committee.
Scholtz was named vice president for research at Iowa in June 2019 and holds a faculty appointment as professor of biochemistry and molecular biology in the UI Carver College of Medicine with secondary appointments in chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences and experimental therapeutics. Prior to joining UI, he served as the executive associate vice president for research as well as a member of the faculty at Texas A&M University.
The following UI administrators, faculty, staff, and students will join Scholtz in the search.
- Daniel Clay, dean and professor, College of Education
- Lyla Clerry, senior associate athletics director for compliance and sport performance, Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Brett Cloyd, social sciences and public policy librarian, UI Libraries
- Colin Derdeyn, Krabbenhoft Professor, chair, and departmental executive officer of the Department of Radiology, Division of Neurointerventional Radiology, Carver College of Medicine
- Renee Funk, chief procurement officer, UI Business Services
- Lois Geist, associate provost for faculty, Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost
- Laura McLeran, senior advisor to the president and associate vice president for administrative affairs, Office of the President
- Airiana Mohr, director of operations, Undergraduate Student Government
- Angie Reams, associate vice president and dean of students, Division of Student Life
- Cheryl Reardon, associate vice president and chief human resources officer, University Human Resources
- Michael Sauder, professor, Department of Sociology and Criminology
- Emily Steinbach-Swehla, UI research fellow and interprofessional director for Graduate and Professional Student Government
- Elizabeth Tovar, executive officer and associate vice president, Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and associate athletic director for academics, Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
The search firm AGB Search from Washington, D.C., has been selected to assist with the search. The firm most recently assisted UI with the search for a new president when Barbara Wilson was hired.
Because Reasoner has agreed to serve until a successor is named, the UI will not need to name an interim and a seamless transition will be made in the Office of the General Counsel.