Editor's note: This story was updated on July 24, 2020, to reflect the naming of a new co-chair and changes to the membership of the committee that were announced in June 2020 and effective Aug. 1, 2020.
Executive Vice President and Provost Montserrat Fuentes has named Tiffini Stevenson Earl, associate director of Equal Opportunity and Diversity and ADA coordinator, and Russ Ganim, associate provost and dean of International Programs, as co-chairs of a committee tasked with selecting the next associate vice president for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
“I am delighted that Tiffini and Russ have agreed to lead this committee,” says Fuentes. “Each has a superb record of leadership and service to the university, and most important, they are both deeply committed to advancing our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. I know they have a clear understanding of the unique skills necessary to provide campuswide leadership in this area.”
Stevenson Earl has been conducting complaint investigations and designing and delivering educational programs at the UI since 2005, and has led Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance since 2008. She earned a bachelor's degree in political science and a master's degree in urban and regional planning, both from the UI. She earned her Juris Doctor from the UI College of Law.
Ganim was named associate provost and dean of International Programs in December 2019. Before that, Ganim was a professor of French and director of the Division of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures at the UI since 2011. He served as chair of the Department of German from 2013 to 2019 and chair of the Department of French and Italian from 2016 to 2019. He also served as the administrative head of the American Sign Language Program and was chair of Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures from 2011 to 2016. Ganim joined Faculty Senate in 2016, serving as vice president in 2017–18 and president in 2018–19.
The following committee members will join Stevenson Earl and Ganim in the search.
- Moala Bannavti, graduate student, Graduate and Professional Student Government representative
- Nicole Del Castillo, director of the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the Carver College of Medicine
- Em Domingues, senior application developer, Information Technology Services, and Staff Council representative
- Steven Edwards, diversity resources coordinator, Diversity Resources
- Eddie Etsey, assistant athletics director and chief technology officer, Department of Athletics
- Paul Gilbert, assistant professor, College of Public Health
- Ruth Kahssai, undergraduate student and UI Student Government representative
- Elizabeth Lara, diversity, equity, and inclusion director, Graduate College
- Maria Lukas, Office of the General Counsel
- Katie Newcomb, assistant director, Center for Diversity and Enrichment
- Jason Rantanen, professor, College of Law
- Angie Reams, dean of students, Division of Student Life
- Barrett Thomas, interim senior associate dean, Tippie College of Business
- Maggy Tomova, professor and associate dean for the natural, mathematical, and social sciences, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Teresa Treat, professor, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Faculty Senate representative
- Tanya Uden-Holman, associate provost for undergraduate education and dean of the University College
- Jan Waterhouse, senior HR director, University Human Resources
The firm Isaacson, Miller, Inc., will assist with the search.
The search will begin in April, with a new associate vice president expected to be named during the Spring 2021 semester.