A search committee made up of University of Iowa faculty, staff, and students has begun work to find a replacement for Daniel Reed, former vice president for research and economic development, who stepped down last fall and recently was named senior vice president for academic affairs at the University of Utah, effective July 1, 2018.
Aliasger Salem, the Bighley Chair and professor of pharmaceutical sciences and head of the Division of Pharmaceutics and Translational Therapeutics at the UI College of Pharmacy, and David Gier, director of the School of Music and Erich Funke Professor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, are co-chairs of the search.
The following committee members join Salem and Gier in the search:
- Erin Brothers, senior sponsored research specialist, Division of Sponsored Programs and past president of the UI Staff Council
- Christopher Cheatum, associate professor of chemistry, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) and faculty fellow, Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development
- Meenakshi Gigi Durham, associate dean and professor, School of Journalism and Mass Communication in CLAS
- Dorothy Johnson, Roy J. Carver professor of art history, area head of the CLAS Art History Division, and director of undergraduate studies in art history
- Justine Kolker, associate professor of operative dentistry, College of Dentistry
- Tonya Peeples, associate dean for diversity and outreach and professor of chemical and biochemical engineering, College of Engineering
- Tejasvi Sharma, president of Graduate and Professional Student Government
- Pete Snyder, professor of internal medicine, Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine and president of Faculty Senate
- Peter Thorne, professor and department head of occupational and environmental health, College of Public Health
- George Weiner, director of the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center and professor of internal medicine, Carver College of Medicine
- Patricia Winokur, executive dean and professor of internal medicine in the Carver College of Medicine
John Keller, dean of the UI Graduate College and associate provost for graduate and professional education, has been serving as interim vice president since October.
The search will begin this summer, with a new vice president expected to be in place by early 2019.