The University of Iowa’s premier touring repertory company, Dancers in Company, splashes onto campus with its hugely popular home concert at 8 p.m., Thursday–Saturday, Feb. 26–28, in Space Place Theater, 101 North Hall.
Now in its 31st year, the company of UI graduate and undergraduate dancers tours throughout Iowa and the Midwest each year, performing concerts and conducting outreach through lecture demonstrations for audiences of all ages. The home performances kick off the tour for these talented dancers and choreographers.
The repertory features a mix of contemporary choreography, including a piece commissioned specifically for Dancers in Company by guest choreographer Melinda Myers, a former member of the renowned Tricia Brown Dance Company, current member of Lucky Plush in Chicago, and choreographer/performer of her own.
The full performance will include:
- Terra Incognita (2014/2015), choreographed by Eleanor Goudie-Averill
- Makinze in Between (2013), choreographed by Charlotte Adams in collaboration with Makinze Meiners
- To Have and to Hold (2005/2015), choreographed by Armando Duarte
- Ask the Beasts (premiere), choreographed by Kristin Marrs
- Beauty Head (2007), choreographed by Jennifer Kayle
- Giants Trump Wizards (2014), choreographed by Kristin Marrs
- map of gazing (premiere), choreographed by Melinda Jean Myers in collaboration with the dancers
Dancers in the 2015 company include:
- Madelyn Andree, Edwardsville, Illinois
- Malinda Baty, Lake Zurich, Illinois
- Blake Boseneiler, Iowa City, Iowa
- Korinne Fangmann, Blue Grass, Iowa
- Taylor Gilhouse, Davenport, Iowa
- Bridget Heddens, Marshalltown, Iowa
- Celina LaBat, Ponte Vedra, Florida
- Venezia Manuel, St. Louis, Missouri
- Emily Medd, Iowa City, Iowa
- Kalyn Sankey, Carmel, Indiana
- Jennifer Sarsfield, Plainfield, Illinois
- Carly Vanderheyden, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Tickets are $12 ($6 for seniors, college students, and youth 17 and younger; $5 for UI students with valid ID) and are available through the Hancher Box Office.
In addition to the "home concerts," Dancers in Company will perform at the Arts Share/Community Foundation of Johnson County concert at 2 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 28. The concert is free and will be held in Space Place Theater.
Other Dancers in Company appearances include the following:
- March 4: Indian Hills Community College, Ottumwa, Iowa. Workshop from 3 to 5 p.m.; performance at 7:30 p.m.
- March 9: Central Academy, Des Moines. The troupe will perform for students in grades 8 through 12, and then conduct a workshop with 30 high school students.
- March 27: Donna Reed Theater, Dennison, Iowa. Performance at 7:30 p.m.
- March 28: Orpheum Theatre, Marshalltown, Iowa. Performance time TBD.
- April 9: Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa. Performance at 6 p.m.
- April 23: CSPS Legion Arts, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Performance at 8 p.m.
- April 29: West High School, Coralville/Iowa City. Events TBD.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all UI-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact the Hancher Box Office in advance at 319-335-1158.