The University of Iowa School of Music will present a free performance by UI horn studio students at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, May 8, in the University Capitol Centre Recital Hall.
The program will feature:
- Allegretto by Joseph Haydn, arr. Verne Reynolds (Four Play Horn Quartet: Jim Burke, Alex Marquardt, Amanda Stout, Nick Westphal, horns)
- Air de Chasse by Louis Piantoni (Jim Burke, horn; Wenjuan Peng, piano)
- Laudatio for Solo Horn by Bernhard Krol (Chase Eichhorst, horn)
- Sonata by Joseph Haas (Alexandra Marquardt, horn; Wenjuan Peng, piano)
- Music for Denes by Zsolt Nagy (Nick Westphal, horn; Gustavo Do Carmo, piano)
- Scherzo Brilliante by Jan Koetsier (Amanda Stout, horn; Gustavo Do Carmo, piano)
- Concerto No. 3 for Horn in Eb by Wolfgang Mozart (Megan Starrett, horn; Jonathan Tauscheck, piano)
- España for Solo Horn by Vitaly Buyanovsky (Chris Hunter, horn)
- Dance, Fool, Dance for Horn and Tape by Paul Basler (James Naigus, horn)
The UI Horn Studio has enjoyed many decades of strong leadership by horn professors Paul Anderson, Kristin Thelander, and, since 2000, Jeffrey Agrell. Of the 16 presidents of the International Horn Society in its 40-plus years, five have been teachers or graduates of the UI.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all UI-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to attend this concert, contact the School of Music in advance at 319-335-1603.
For a UI arts calendar and details about upcoming events visit the Arts Iowa website.