Aside from the University of Iowa College of Dentistry, how many other U.S. schools offer advanced education in all dental specialties?
The answer: Zero.
The UI is the only school that trains dentists to specialize in all areas recognized by the American Dental Association. These specialties include:
- Dental public health
- Oral and maxillofacial pathology
- Oral and maxillofacial radiology
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics
- Pediatric Dentistry
A few other facts about the UI College of Dentistry:
- Eighty percent of Iowa dentists are alumni.
- College of Dentistry clinics schedule about 500 patient visits every day.
- The college’s outreach programs serve nearly every Iowa county.
- Nearly 1,000 hopefuls applied for 80 places in the college’s 2011 entering class.
- College of Dentistry research programs consistently rank among the nation’s strongest in overall grant funding.