Thursday, June 6, 2019

The Board of Regents, State of Iowa, voted at its June 2019 meeting to extend the contract for University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld by two-and-a-half years. Originally set to expire in November 2020, the extended contract will run through June 2023. Harreld will maintain his current salary of $590,000 but will receive an increase in deferred compensation and benefits.

Bruce Harreld portrait
Bruce Harreld

“President Harreld has provided steady, deliberate, and thoughtful leadership over the past three-and-a-half years, advocating strongly for increased funding from the state, predictable tuition, higher faculty salaries, and a greater investment in student success,” says Regents President Mike Richards. 

Harreld, 68, was named the 21st president of the university in August 2015 and signed a five-year contract. A former Harvard Business School faculty member and corporate executive with IBM, Harreld has worked to broaden campus involvement in budget and policy decisions through shared governance and academic leadership.

“I came to make a contribution, and I am excited to continue the work we’ve started,” Harreld says. “While, together, we have moved the university forward, there is much left to do in developing, executing, and funding our long-term strategy. It is in that context that I am excited to extend my contract.

“My wife, Mary, and I love it here. We love the energy, the passion. And most of all we love the students. Interacting with students is always the best part of my day, and I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue in this role a few years longer.

“I’m pleased to have the support of the Board and the campus community, and I look forward to working together in forwarding a long-term strategy to make the University of Iowa a destination university.”