Monday, November 5, 2018
Sandra Daack-Hirsch portrait
Sandra Daack-Hirsch

University of Iowa College of Nursing faculty members Sandra Daack-Hirsch, Maria Lindell Joseph, and Susan Van Cleve were named 2018 fellows of the American Academy of Nursing (AAN) at the group’s annual policy conference Nov. 1–3 in Washington, D.C. 

The induction of the three women brings the total number of UI College of Nursing AAN Fellows to 20. Induction into the program is an honor because selection is competitive and based on an individual's entire nursing career, as well as their ability to influence and improve health policies and the health and well-being of all. This year, 195 fellows were honored at the national event. 

Maria Lindell Joseph portrait
Maria Lindell Joseph

“I am humbled and honored to join this group of talented and inspired leaders in nursing,” said Van Cleve, professor and director of the Primary Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program. “Being a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing offers recognition for my career in educating Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, as well as for improving the health of children, especially children with disabilities and mental health needs.”

Daack-Hirsch, an associate professor and director of the college’s PhD programs, says she is thankful for the recognition of her work by her colleagues.

Susan Van Cleve portrait
Susan Van Cleve

“I’ve built an academic career that bridges basic genetic science with real-world application,” she says. “My work, in collaboration with amazing colleagues, has led to policy and educational changes in the U.S. and globally to ensure public access to quality, genomic-health services. It’s a terrific feeling to be recognized by my colleagues.”

Upon learning that she’d been selected as an AAN Fellow, Joseph, a professor and director of the college’s MSN-CNL program, said her initial reaction was feelings of gratitude and humility.

“This recognition validated that my inspiration to create change and foster new ways of thinking for health-systems improvement had not gone unnoticed by the nursing community,” she says. “By leveraging innovation and shared governance, I am passionately working to improve the work environment for nurses and nursing leadership as well as the patients and families they serve. I deeply appreciate this honor and continue to be inspired by the courage of nurses who strive to create change for a better and improved health care system.”