Links in this article are preserved for historical purposes, but the destination sources may have changed.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018
health coaches standing near wellness office
Student Health and Wellness dietitian JoAnn Daehler-Miller, left, and liveWELL health coach/registered dietitian Ilona Lichty can provide nutrition consultation for UI students, faculty, and staff. Photo courtesy of liveWELL.

The Wellness Services area of the University of Iowa Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC) is a prime example of the university’s commitment to a healthy campus culture. The Wellness Services area provides many services, including nutrition consultation; faculty, staff, and students can come to Wellness Services for support as they pursue their health goals.

Kyle Scheer found his way to Wellness Services through a quick online search.

“I wanted to be more thoughtful and conscientious about what I was eating,” says Scheer, the director of student services for UI Student Government and an undergraduate studying economics and information systems. After typing “nutrition services” into the search bar on the UI website, he met with Student Health and Wellness dietitian JoAnn Daehler-Miller.

Students

Schedule an appointment with the Student Health and Wellness dietitian by calling 319-335-8394. Appointments are available at the CRWC or Westlawn offices.

Faculty and staff
Request an appointment with a health coach on the liveWELL website or call 319-353-2973. Appointments are available at the CRWC, the Employee Health Clinic in Boyd Tower of UI Hospitals and Clinics, or by phone.

Additionally, if you are interested in the Anti-Inflammatory Eating for Optimal Health course, registration is open now for the May sessions: hr.uiowa.edu/anti-inflammatory-eating-optimal-health.

“Before meeting with JoAnn, I tended to eat whatever was available, and I would shop for groceries without having a meal plan for the week,” Scheer says. “After our meeting, I am more deliberative about what I eat.”

Daehler-Miller addresses a variety of nutrition-related questions during her visits with students: weight management, eating on a budget, eating disorders, and other medical concerns.

“We develop individual eating plans to support each student’s nutritional goals,” Daehler-Miller says.

UI faculty and staff also have access to a registered dietitian: Ilona Lichty, who also serves as a liveWELL health coach, leads two group classes for faculty and staff, Anti-Inflammatory Eating for Optimal Health and Unwrapping the Science of Sugar. In these educational courses, Lichty shares the latest research findings and practical ways to implement dietary improvements.

One participant in the Unwrapping the Science of Sugar course said “I learned that my love of sugar, which I used to laugh about, can actually be quite harmful beyond the obvious problem of gaining weight. It spurred my resolve to reduce my intake.”

“I enjoy working with faculty and staff to uncover ways they can make improvements in their nutrition to support their optimal health,” Lichty says. “Together, we develop a plan specific to their needs and interests for long-term success in nutrition and other areas of health.”