Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Wellness Ambassadors are champions of wellness around campus and work with liveWELL to inspire healthy activities at a local level. These ambassadors are responsible for many of the positive health changes that happen within their respective departments: healthy lunches, walking groups, or social gatherings outside of work.

This week, Iowa Now highlights two Wellness Ambassadors and the work they do.

shonda monette portrait
Shonda Monette

Shonda Monette
Department of Chemistry, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Ambassador since 2013

How her co-workers describe her: Fun, engaging, resourceful, persistent, and kind

Why she became a Wellness Ambassador: “I enjoy helping others feel well, whole, and happy. Fitness is more than just exercise. Wellness is a movement that I want to be a part of at the University of Iowa.”

Her impact on her department: “Wellness does not take a back seat anymore. I put out a departmental wellness bulletin each month, update our wellness display case, and give updates at staff meetings. We have a Social and Wellness team. We hear a suggestion, and the team runs with it. It is an awesome feeling to make things happen that no one thinks are possible.”

Making a difference: “With department-wide support, we’ve raised about $1,400 for BBBS Bowl for Kids’ Sake, spearheaded by team member Benj Revis. Additionally, we now have our own designated space for people to do wellness-related activities—stretching, light activity, or simply taking a moment to relax.

How she manages her own wellness: “I take it one day at a time. Being an active part of the Blue Zones initiative helped me to do that. It taught me to delve into healthy cooking—grilling in particular—that tastes good and to do this outdoors with friends whenever possible. I got a fitness tracker to encourage movement. I feel accomplished when I hit my goals, and it is exhilarating to see my calorie burn from an activity, especially when I have put in work.

“My favorite tidbit: Every little bit counts. Every step you take, every minute you stand. Every can of soda you turn down. It adds up.”

jean portrait
Jean Hegland

Jean Hegland
Health Care Information Systems
Ambassador since 2012

How her co-workers describe her: Dedicated to personal wellness and helping others; a good role model

Why she became a Wellness Ambassador: “Our department’s previous ambassador asked me to take the reins. Health and wellness have always been important to me, and I was willing to accept this position.”

Her impact on her department:
“I have created wellness opportunities in the workplace. I’ve helped create Live Healthy Iowa teams, promoted one-on-one wellness coaching, and encouraged building-wide challenges. When we moved out to the new Health Care Support Services Building in Coralville a little over a year ago, we created a Wellness Team that includes representation from all departments and floors.”

How she manages her own wellness: “I track my eating in the MyFitnessPal app and work out at a local gym that really helps keep me accountable. Don’t deprive yourself of the things you love—for me, that would be sweets—but enjoy these things in moderation and you can reach your goals.”

Do you want to bring wellness to your department? Learn more about being a Wellness Ambassador or check to see who yours is at https://hr.uiowa.edu/livewell/wellness-ambassadors.