Scott Beckner hopes to focus on teaching moments, getting to know the UI's students
Monday, August 15, 2016

To Scott Beckner, public safety on a college campus is about more than just writing citations and enforcing the law. It’s about building a community of trust and transparency that reinforces healthy decision-making and ensures everyone feels safe and supported.

Beckner, the UI’s new assistant vice president and director of public safety, began his job on July 18. He is a graduate of Michigan State University, where he earned both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in criminal justice and completed his law degree.

A Durand, Michigan, native, Beckner joins the UI after nearly 30 years in law enforcement and 25 in higher education. Before taking on the role of director and chief of police at Georgia College and State University in 2011, he served as chief of police at Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, and spent 18 years working his way up through the Michigan State University Police Department in East Lansing.

His return to the Midwest complete, Beckner is fulfilling a lifelong dream of being a leader at a Big Ten University and says he looks forward to learning the Hawkeye way. He recently discussed his background and his plans for campus with Iowa Now.

What are you most looking forward to in your new position?

I'm looking forward to getting to know the student population so I can learn about what they feel is most important. We work for them and the UI community, and I want their input along the way. 

Scott Beckner

Age:
53

Family: Wife, Donna, who is a retired math teacher, and two adult children who live and work on the East Coast

Education: Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan

FBI National Academy, Quantico, Virginia

Northwestern Executive Management Program, East Lansing, Michigan

Career Highlights: Director of public safety and chief of police, Georgia College and State University (2011–16)

Chief of police, Shepherd University Police Department (2009–11)

Special events lieutenant and various other posts, Michigan State University (1991–2009)

How do you plan to get to know UI students and immerse yourself in campus culture?

I believe in a community policing philosophy. By that, I mean that officers need to go where the students are comfortable in order to build positive relationships with them, even if that's not the environment in which the officers themselves are most comfortable. This enables both parties to establish meaningful communication and receive better feedback from both the law enforcement officers and the students.

If UI police officers can begin to know students on a personal level—when it’s not in the context of a punitive action—I believe we’ll be able to solve more problems proactively. One of my early goals will be to begin to break down the barriers between students and campus police. Throughout my career, I have engaged in this process by participating in intramurals, teaching a class when my schedule allows, and planning activities that bring students and officers together.

What do you enjoy about working on a college campus? 

I like that I can have an impact on students who eventually leave our campus and go out into their communities—wherever they land—and become a positive role model for others. I think I've done that in my career, and that's what keeps me going. I usually try to teach a class now and then, too, which is a rewarding experience in an entirely different way.

What kinds of classes do you like to teach? 

Criminal Law and Procedure is my favorite course to teach. 

What have you learned from your nearly 25 years of experience in policing on college campuses?

I'm not afraid to try new things, and I'm not afraid to fail. If, for example, we start a new program during my tenure and it doesn't seem to work, we'll take a step back and revamp it or get rid of it. I think it's just as valuable to know what doesn't work as what does work, and you don't always know until you try. So many people in law enforcement are afraid to fail because of the spotlight we're in, and we have to learn to get beyond that mindset.

In your experience, what are some campus police programs that have worked well and/or failed?

Attending as many student activities as our time will allow has never failed to provide communication and foster trust. Not following through with our commitments to the student body has always resulted in failure. 

Did you know?

UI DPS includes a staff of 37 state-certified police officers and two police dogs, Falo and Jago.

Anything else you'd like campus to know about you?

I've always liked being involved in the community, and I have tried to seek out opportunities to connect with faculty, staff, and students on the campuses I've led. You might meet me by way of an intramural sports team later this year. I'm terrible at dodgeball, but that doesn't keep me from playing!

Name five of your favorite things.

• My wife, who is also my high school sweetheart; we married in 1985.
  • Hockey. I started and coached my son’s high school team.
  • Golfing and bow hunting
  • The Villages, Florida
  • The Chicago Cubs