Monday, October 26, 2015

This is my last message to the University of Iowa community as interim president. It has been an honor and a privilege to serve in this role, and the experience has deepened my respect for our university and our community.

Jean Robillard
Jean Robillard, M.D.

Next Monday, Nov. 2, Bruce Harreld officially begins his service as our university’s 21st president. I remain certain that Bruce is the right leader for the UI—he is committed to collaboration and creative thinking, and possesses the can-do ethos that characterizes Iowa at its best.

I ask each of you to welcome Bruce and his wife, Mary, and to remain steadfast in your own commitments to our university and its missions. I believe we’re driven by shared purpose—a common call to ask questions, discover answers, inspire students, and serve the greater good.

I meant what I said in my first campus message as interim president: Every one of us has an essential role and a valuable stake in our success. Together, we are one university. I want to thank you for not slowing down or losing sight of our goals during this period of transition.

I’d like to extend additional gratitude to the staff of the president’s office and to my UI Health Care colleagues for their flexibility and support. As much as anyone, they have helped keep our university moving forward.

As of next week, I return full-time to my role as vice president for medical affairs. But I do so with a richer understanding of what unites us. Again, thank you.

Jean Robillard, M.D.
Interim President
Vice President for Medical Affairs