Thursday, October 15, 2015

What do you do here? 

I'm the program coordinator for the Hawkeye Community Rowing program offered by Recreational Services. It's open to interested students, faculty, staff, and community members, and sessions are designed for every skill level. * Writer's note: Rowing has been a big part of Stipes' life for years. She was a member of four-person UI Rowing boat that won a bronze medal at the NCAA Rowing Championships in 2001. After graduating from Iowa, Stipes was an assistant coach for the University of Tennessee women's rowing team for seven years before returning to her alma mater.

The rundownDepartment:Job:Number of years at the UI: Family:Hometown:Alma Maters: 

Recreational Services

Program coordinator for the Hawkeye Community Rowing program

2

Husband, Anthony; one child in kindergarten

Hayward, Wisconsin

Hayward High School and the University of Iowa

What do you enjoy most about working in a higher education setting?

I enjoy always being challenged to look at the big picture, and teaching and learning different ways to maintain that focus while handling the small things that make create its canvas.

Take us through your most memorable day at the university.

I guess it’s a good thing that I can’t say I have just one. A lot of what I do as a coach and mentor for the athletes in my program has its own surprises and awards. I am constantly amazed and humbled to be leading an awesome group of individuals. 

What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken—and did it pay off?

I took a chance on a new way to build a cohesive community rowing program. It’s not without its challenges—but it's paid off so far.

If you could spend a day with anyone, from any era, who would it be and why?

Tough question. I don’t really like to live focused in the past. Now, if I could go to the future, I’d love to spend a day with my daughter when she is grown and has grandchildren of her own—just to see and talk and spend time with her.

If you could have a song written about you, who would perform it, and what would it be called?

“Push On” by Miranda Lambert

If you could get rid of one invention in the world, what would you choose? Why?

Texting—although it can be convenient, I feel as though communication skills have been lost in the younger generation. Between that and all the email usage these days, we get lazy in our conversations.

Name five of your favorite things.

• Jackson Hole, Wyoming
  • Fettuccine Alfredo
  • Dogs
  • Coffee in a MUG
  • A good book and a comfy blanket