Retiring president express appreciation for accomplishments of faculty, staff, students
Thursday, July 30, 2015

Sally Mason, the 20th president of the University of Iowa, will officially retire from the presidency Aug. 1. She served as UI president for eight years. Before starting her retirement, she sent the following message to the UI campus community: 

Always Moving Forward looks at President Mason's accomplishments during her time at the University of Iowa and the leadership she exhibited during challenges such as the flood of 2008. Video by the Office of Strategic Communication.

Saying farewell to this amazing community and institution has been one of the most difficult things I have ever done. At the same time, I have been able to look back on what the UI has accomplished in the past eight years with great pride, and I am grateful to know that so many talented people will lead this ambitious university to even greater achievement in learning, discovery, creativity, and engagement.

We have accomplished much and have been through many challenges together, but what has always guided us is a common vision of being the best university we can be. I thank each and every one of you for your passion, your commitment, your collaboration, and everything you have done to support me and the university we love. I will certainly miss the day-to-day work of guiding the University of Iowa to its highest potential, but what I will miss most of all is the collegiality and inspiration of so many wonderful people. It has been one of my greatest privileges to work with you.

Ken and I will carry this university with us very deeply for the rest of our lives, and we will always take great joy in being Iowa Hawkeyes. I wish nothing but the best for the University of Iowa, and I have every confidence that Iowa will continue to achieve great things.

Again, thank you, farewell, and, for the last time as president, On Iowa and Go Hawks!

Jean Robillard, vice president for medical affairs at the University of Iowa, will assume his role as interim president of the University of Iowa on Aug. 1. Follow Iowa Now's coverage of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee for the latest on the search for the university's 21st president.