New B.A. degree prepares liberal arts students for careers in business
Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The University of Iowa has launched a new major that provides entrepreneurial management and leadership education to liberal arts and sciences students, giving them the opportunity to develop real-world skills and improve their employability before hitting the job market or starting their own business.

The Bachelor of Arts in Enterprise Leadership combines courses form the university’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center (JPEC), and the Tippie College of Business to provide an educational opportunity that focuses on entrepreneurial leadership.

David Hensley
David Hensley

David Hensley, JPEC executive director and clinical professor, says the curriculum blends foundation courses in mathematics, economics, statistics, and sociology, along with courses in entrepreneurship/business courses, leadership, communications, and cultural diversity. Students are also required to complete an internship or advanced experiential learning project to earn their degree.

“The program is designed to prepare students to make an immediate impact in their professional careers,” Hensley says. “The major presents a unique blend of theory and practice allowing students to apply their knowledge and ingenuity to their area of career interest as well as all types of organizations.”

He says the skills that liberal arts and sciences students will develop, such as critical thinking, opportunity analysis, communications, leadership, team building, and innovation and creativity are highly valued by employers.

Hunter Belzer, a junior from Indianola, Iowa, was a pre-business major before entering the program last fall. He hopes to start a business of his own after graduating and while he has experience in sales from retail jobs, he knows little about operating the rest of a business.

“The classes in the program have shown me how a business works from a practical standpoint,” he says. “I’m learning the basics of finance, leadership, trademarks, even something as basic as writing a business plan or a marketing plan.”

Molly Fobian, a senior from Iowa City, has already started her own wedding planning business and is using what she learns in the new degree program to develop it.

"My favorite thing is that I can actually help my business grow while I'm still in school,” says Fobian. “My professors are always helpful and supportive, while also giving their honest business professional opinion to me. I love my classes. I have had the opportunity to start my own website with a lot of guidance.”

“The B.A. in Enterprise Leadership, combined with other JPEC programs to assist students develop a professional network and enrich their soft skills will uniquely position them to enter the workforce and quickly add value to their employers,” Hensley says. “For those students pursuing entrepreneurial opportunities, the program will serve as a great training ground for launching and building a sustainable company.”

The new major will be available for students to take online this fall.