College of Pharmacy student talks about goals for Graduate and Professional Student Government

Links in this article are preserved for historical purposes, but the destination sources may have changed.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Alyssa Billmeyer is a Hawkeye through and through. Now, she’s making history at the University of Iowa as the first College of Pharmacy student to serve as president of the Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG).

Originally from Marion, Iowa, Billmeyer earned a Bachelor of Arts in interdepartmental studies with an emphasis in health science and minors in chemistry and global health studies from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. She’s currently pursuing the joint Doctor of Pharmacy/Master of Public Health and expects to complete her degrees in 2016.

Billmeyer answered questions for Iowa Now about her experience at the UI and what it’s like to lead an organization that prepares individuals to go on to make a statewide impact.

Why did you decide to attend the University of Iowa? Also, what drew you to pharmacy?

I grew up in Marion, Iowa, and being a Hawkeye fan was pretty much ingrained in me. But it wasn’t until my Hawkeye Visit Day my senior year of high school that I knew I was going to the UI. I remember the day very vividly actually, and it was perfect. Then, to top it off, when I got home that evening I checked the mail only to find out that I had been accepted to the University of Iowa. It was fate.

It wasn’t until my sophomore year, when I started taking organic chemistry, that a career in pharmacy came into the picture. After talking to my adviser and changing some of my classes around, I decided to declare an interest in pharmacy.

That year I also got a job—the one I still hold—at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Ambulatory Care Pharmacies as a student pharmacy technician. There, I was able to work side-by-side with talented pharmacists, pharmacy students, and administrators who solidified my thoughts about attending the UI College of Pharmacy.

Why pursue the joint Pharm.D./M.P.H. degree?

I decided to pursue my joint Pharm.D./M.P.H. degree for two reasons. The first was that I was very interested in global health as an undergraduate. I was part of the Global Health Club, participated in the India Winterim, attended the Global Health Symposiums on campus, and even minored in global health because I loved it so much.

That interest still lies with me, and I knew I would be able to gain a better understanding of how pharmacy can benefit the general health of individuals here and across the world through classes in these programs.

I also wanted to pursue the program because I am very interested in policy, specifically health policy. I hope to work in hospital pharmacy administration or pharmacy association management, and the classes I take in the UI College of Public Health relate directly to issues I may face in one of my future careers. A lot of my classes in the College of Public Health have taken a hands-on, active approach in learning, allowing me to not only learn the way a health system works, but work through real-life scenarios that pertain to topics I’m interested in. I’m very happy I chose to do the dual degree. It’s a lot of extra work, but well worth the time.

What attracted you to becoming involved with GPSG?

I’m proud to be part of an organization that prepares individuals to go on to make a statewide impact. We have dentists, physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and lawyers who graduate from programs at the UI who serve Iowans every day.

The GPSG represents the UI’s graduate and professional student body while seeking to improve students’ educational experiences overall. Providing grants for students to travel, research, and serve—as well as to advocate for student support—are among the organization’s fundamental objectives.

With a graduate and professional student body of over 10,000 students, GPSG is comprised of at least two delegates from each of the UI’s five professional colleges (Pharmacy, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, and Business) as well as five representatives from the Graduate College.

What do you feel is the main goal of GPSG this year?

It is our duty to ensure our constituents are provided all they need in order to fulfill their degrees, and to make sure it is a good experience along the way.

Our main goal this year is to ensure that our professional and graduate student voices are heard not only across our campus, but across the entire university and the state of Iowa. We will do this by showcasing what specific students and colleges are doing in their service, research, and community outreach.

What other organizations have you been involved with while at the UI, and why do you think it’s important for students to get involved?

During the 2013-14 academic year, I served as president-elect of the College of Pharmacy’s Student Leadership Council and as a GPSG delegate for the college. During that year, the College of Pharmacy and GPSG worked together to discuss with legislators the importance of funding designated for the college’s new building. As a representative of GPSG, I also attended the Hawkeye Caucus Day to speak about the importance of graduate and professional programs. I feel we have a unique situation in the state where our students in each program can collaborate with each other both inside and outside of the classroom.

How has your time as a student at the UI College of Pharmacy prepared you for what you’re experiencing now and for what lies ahead?

I owe so much of where I am now, and what I know will lie ahead, to the College of Pharmacy. Nearly everyone at the College of Pharmacy is in some form of leadership role—and that’s what makes it great. There are countless organizations that allow us to be involved not only at the college level, but also at the community, state, and national levels as well. There are also countless opportunities for us as students to interact with faculty members outside of the classroom, to do work with world-renowned researchers, to interact with real pharmacists in our communities and across the world, and to get real-life pharmacy practice experiences before we even graduate.

What’s your best memory so far as a Hawkeye?

Being at this university now for seven years, I have countless memories of being a Hawkeye. But I would have to say my favorite one was when I found out I was accepted into the College of Pharmacy and would be a Hawkeye for four more years.