UI's Kayle choreographs dance to accompany original composition
Monday, February 25, 2013

Life inspires art inspires life—and music—on the University of Iowa campus. Dan Knight, Iowa City Steinway artist and accompanist for the UI Dance Department, is both taking inspiration from and lending his talents to the University of Iowa Museum of Art (UIMA) this spring.

Knight is lending his talents in support of the museum at its upcoming New Deal Fundraiser: The Museum Party, which will be from 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday, March 2, at the Oakdale Ballroom in the Coralville Marriott Hotel & Conference Center.

The event will raise funds to support programming and projects for the upcoming year, including the restoration of “Mural." People can enjoy an evening celebrating art by calling 319-335-1725 for ticket information. For more information, visit uima.uiowa.edu/a-new-deal-the-museum-party/.

In April, Knight will also perform the world premiere of an original composition inspired by Jackson Pollock’s “Mural” at the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts, accompanied by modern dance choreographed by UI Dance Department Associate Professor Jennifer Kayle.

Photo of a man with his hands on the inside of a grand piano
Dan Knight

“Seeing ‘Mural’ for the first time was a transforming experience for me," Knight says. "I heard and saw rhythm and musicality, as well as improvisation tempered with composition and structure. I knew I would never see art the same way again.”

“Mural,” which was on display at the Des Moines Art Center this past summer, is currently undergoing technical study and conservation treatment at the Getty Center in Los Angeles, where it will be on display for three months in 2014 after the painting has been restored.

“It was at the UIMA where my career as a composer of music inspired by works of visual art began," Knight recalls. "The pieces sang to me, literally, and I took notes which eventually became compositions that the UIMA helped produce. The recording helped establish me internationally, not just as a pianist but as a composer as well. It would never have happened without the UIMA.”