Advice includes how best to pack, communicate

Links in this article are preserved for historical purposes, but the destination sources may have changed.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Moving a child to college is a big transition for everyone. To help ease what’s sure to a busy and emotional day, Iowa Now asked experienced UI parents to offer words of wisdom to the parents of this year’s incoming class. Here's what they had to say:

The University Housing & Dining website has details about 2016 move-in, including tips for road construction navigation.

Karla Harrington (parent of 2015 graduate Brandon Harrington), Naperville, Illinois:
"Move-in day is hard and full of unknowns, and there is no way around that. I think the best advice I can give is to know your child—he or she will give you cues as to when they are ready for you to say goodbye. There is a tendency—at least for this mom—to want to stay, but I think it is easiest if you don’t linger too long. Although I shed more than a few tears in the residence hall parking lot, I knew my son was ready for the challenge ahead."

Christie Carter (parent of sophomore Travis Carter), Sycamore, Illinois:

• Rent a fridge and microwave from the school. It’s nice having them ready in the room on move-in day, and the fridge comes with a freezer.
  • Banker boxes are better than plastic totes. They stack nicely, don’t get too heavy when climbing all those stairs—the elevator line is long—and fold away when empty.
  • Everything is easier if you give a little grace to everyone you meet. It’s all new, exciting, chaotic, crowded, hot, and sad. And just like childhood, it’s over in a blink of an eye.

Darci Dorfler (parent of student Megan Dorfler), Marion, Iowa:
"Start talking about the drop-off day at least one week or more ahead of time. Ask how your student wants to be 'left' at school. How much help do they want unpacking? Keep asking if at first they say, 'I don't know,' and give them time to think about it. Then ask again. When you say goodbye, let them know you will miss them, but that they are going to do great."

Anita Shaperd (parent of sophomore Phillip Shaperd), Chicago, Illinois:
"Encourage your student to meet up with someone he or she already knows from high school or Orientation at the time you leave campus, preferably in a lively public place. It’s much easier to say goodbye when your child is happily interacting with a peer at Starbucks or the student union rather than alone in an unfamiliar dorm room or curbside."

Lisa Krogman (parent of junior Lauren Krogman and 2016 graduate Alison Krogman), Atlantic, Iowa:

• Less, in the beginning, is more. Try to convince your student they don’t need to live like they have been at home. You can always send or bring items to them later.
  • Have hooks, extension cords, et cetera, ready. And bring extras—you always need them.
  • Short, small clothes baskets are best. They fit perfectly under the beds.
  • We bought the absorbent bathroom mats used for stepping out of the shower and put them on the shelf so our daughter could set her shower caddy on it.
  • Most important: Send them pics of their pets. They love that!

Rich Emory (parent of junior Caroline Emory), Davenport, Iowa:
"Make it a priority to meet with the head or leader of your family’s faith student outreach center. And if you can meet some upperclassmen, so much the better. Knowing your student has a friendly, experienced, knowledgeable, trustworthy person to talk to about 'college stuff' when it can’t be you is peace of mind you can’t buy. Also, don’t forget a fresh box of tissues for the trip home."

Theresa Mahoney (parent of junior Ashley Essmann), Waterloo, Iowa:
"We bought 10 to 12 plastic bins (about $5 apiece at Wal-Mart) to move our daughter’s clothing in—they were easy to stack, and when it rained on move-in day, we didn’t have to worry about them getting wet in the bed of the pickup. We brought them home and stacked them in the basement; as the end of second semester approached, we took four or five of them back on the weekends she came home and had her pack up out-of-season clothes. Also, if you have clothing on hangers, you can use large garbage bags as inexpensive garment bags by poking a hole in the top to let the hangers through.

"On the emotional side, I reminded myself that, as her parent, it was my job to get her ready to move on in life. So, while I did get a little teary-eyed when we dropped her off, I told myself that instead of being sad, I should be proud for a job well done. It helped me put it into perspective."