Tuesday, October 6, 2015

What do you do here?

I’m the football equipment manager. I have a great staff of people who work together. We are responsible for everything from helmets and shoulder pads to Nike clothing to daily laundry duties.

The run-down

Department you work in:
Athletics

Job title: Football equipment manager

Number of years at UI: 27

Family: Wife, Lynn; two sons, James and Jake

Hometown: Solon

Alma mater: University of Iowa

Describe your most memorable day at the university.

When we beat Minnesota in 2002. Our fans tore down the goalposts and tried to carry them out the door. Also, fall of 2010 when, against Penn State, our son, James, had to go in and play as the middle linebacker. He did OK, and we won.

What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken—and did it pay off?

Becoming a volunteer firefighter. It has been an incredible, rewarding experience. It is a risk for two reasons: one, when you are called, you never know what is going to happen; two, you risk a lot of your time—you quickly realize it is well worth it.

If you could spend a day with anyone, from any era, who would it be and why?

Father Ed Fitzpatrick (Newman Catholic Student Center, retired). He has a way to bring peace to your life. His approach to each day is one that I could learn from.

Greg Morris hauling gear

If you could have a song written about you, who would perform it, and what would it be called? 

A duet by Toby Keith and Jimmy Buffett. It would be called “I Did the Best I Could and I Hope It Was Good Enough.”

If you could get rid of one invention in the world, what would you choose? Why?

Cell phones—only at meal time. People and families spend more time looking at their phones than talking at meal time. The world is missing out on a great time to talk to each other.

Name five of your favorite things:

1. Spending time with family
  2.  Eating a good pizza
  3.  Golfing
  4.  Lunch at the Red Pepper in Iowa City
  5.  Road games with the football team