Pre-law student overcomes slow start thanks to UI resources
Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Sometimes lackluster grades provide valuable lessons.

That’s not to say that poor performance is the recommended route to success. But in the case of Josh Asner, a pre-law student from Des Moines who will graduate this month from the University of Iowa, an initial semester’s worth of subpar grades prompted him to seek the resources available for an academic rebound.

“My grades were not at all where I wanted them, so I listened to my advisor and signed up for the College Success Seminar,” says Asner, who will graduate with a degree in political science and the Entrepreneurial Management Certificate. “I thought it might teach me some new ways to study unfamiliar material, and improve my approach to my studies in general.”

Josh Asner talks about finding the right resources at UI to rebound from a rough first semester.

The seminar helps first-year students focus on the fundamental ingredients for academic success: self‑assessment, goal setting, problem solving, motivation, time management, study skills, and preparing for and taking tests. The course shines a light on campus resources such as the Pomerantz Career Center and University Counseling Service.

Asner says the most valuable takeaway was by far the fact that studying is a constant thing, given the intensity of university coursework. “The frame of mind to study needs to begin the first day of class, and be consistent all the way through the semester,” Asner says. “Something as simple as reading over lecture notes from beginning to end every day will gradually build memory of the subject. That way, by the time the exam comes, you may have read over the notes dozens of times; you've learned the material and the exam is a breeze.”

The results were instantaneous and impressive. Asner’s grade-point average jumped from about 1.90 to 3.94, restoring the young man’s confidence heading into sophomore through senior years.

Going forward, Asner was able to maintain a GPA of 3.7 or above each semester. And with his renewed focus on time management, he participated in activities such as Dance Marathon and various political organizations both on campus and across the state—including one he founded just prior to the 2014 cycle. He’s also held jobs and internships with various political groups, and volunteered with a number of organizations around the area.

“Managing time effectively has not been difficult—it just takes some planning,” Asner says. “At the beginning of each week, I write out everything that I need to accomplish, any other obligations I have, and anything else I’d like to do. I create a schedule, allowing myself some leeway to move things around if—and when—plans change.”

After going through commencement at the UI this weekend, Asner will continue his academic journey a short jaunt down Interstate 80, starting law school at Drake University in the fall. After a semester of struggle, Asner is thrilled with the outcome, and with what he discovered during his time at Iowa.

“I learned that I could do whatever I set my mind to,” Asner says. “I know that may sound clichéd, but when I understood that with some hard work and perseverance I could accomplish anything I wanted…that gave me a great feeling.”