Marketing and management major from Lawler learning real-world lessons for the future
Monday, December 1, 2014

"The Student Experience" showcases University of Iowa students who excel academically—inside and outside the classroom. This is our latest entry in the series; look for the next story on Dec. 15.

Like many high school seniors, Tyler Hackman had a big decision to make. The University of Iowa was on his list of potential schools, but it took a memorable campus visit—in sub-zero temperatures, no less—for him to choose the UI and become the first in his family to attend college.

Tyler Hackman

Hometown: Lawler, Iowa

Areas of study: double major in marketing and management

Anticipated graduation date: May 2015

Activities:
Tippie College of Business Marketing Institute—team leader, Dane's Dairy
Campus Activities Board, president
On Iowa!, team captain
S.T.A.R. (Students to Assist Recruitment)
Student Life Marketing + Design
Dance Marathon
Homecoming king

Marketing Institute grads landing jobs
So far, 57 students have graduated from the Marketing Institute; 100 percent of graduates are employed.

“Despite it being a really cold day, there was a warm smile from everyone I encountered,” says Hackman. “The mentality of everyone around me was so enlightening, and it really empowered me to make me feel like I was ready to make the journey to college. I know this sounds cliché, but I knew this is where I was called to be. It felt like home.”

Since arriving on campus in August 2010, Hackman has hit the ground running. The Lawler, Iowa, native is a double major in marketing and management—and a fixture on the Dean’s List and President’s List.

“I really do pride myself in my academics,” says Hackman, who will graduate in May. “Knowing that my parents didn’t have this chance to go to college and further their education, I’m very blessed to have the opportunity and I don’t want to waste it. I really focus on learning as much as I can and preparing myself for the real world, which is quickly approaching.”

Inside the classroom, Hackman has gained real-world experience through his involvement with the Marketing Institute, a three-semester program for the top 15 undergraduate students in the UI Henry B. Tippie College of Business. Students work as consultant teams with clients to solve a variety of marketing problems.

“What we do makes an impact on the companies we serve and the recommendations the students put together are implemented by our clients,” says Peggy Stover, director of the Marketing Institute. “The way I look at it for students is, ‘This is the closest you’re going to get to working full time before you graduate.’”

Hackman and his team are working with Dane’s Dairy, an Iowa City ice cream shop open during the summers. As team leader, it’s Hackman’s job to oversee everything the team does for its client, including making final recommendations in March. The team has been working on pricing guidelines, advertisements, and brand image suggestions.

“They’ve been courteous and listened to my concerns, and I appreciate their insight and advice,” says Donna Dane, owner of Dane’s Dairy. “Tyler is well organized, thinks out strategies before carrying out plans, and is a great communicator. I’m very fortunate to have him on my team.”

“Tyler really embodies all of the qualities to be in the Marketing Institute,” adds Stover. “He’s academically accomplished, he’s a natural leader, and, more importantly, really understands the dynamics of what it takes to be a marketing leader in the future.”

After graduation, Hackman says he’d like to live in Des Moines and has a few leads at marketing agencies doing some consulting work, similar to what he’s been doing with Dane’s Dairy.

And he credits his time at the UI with giving him the tools to be successful now and for years to come.

“Coming into my time at the UI, I told my parents I just wanted to get an education, go to class, I’m going to study and learn, and get out. And although that has been the case, I’ve also picked up all these other amazing experiences that are really indescribable,” says Hackman. “I’m really proud of the person that I am today and the person I will be.”