Mason to implement significant changes in student-athlete advising, compliance
Main Page Content
The University of Iowa takes very seriously any allegations of sexual harassment in the workplace and as a result, will implement a series of changes intended to positively impact student-athlete advising and compliance in the department of athletics moving forward.
“Our ultimate role as a university is to protect our students, faculty, and staff,” says UI President Sally Mason. “The University of Iowa owes an apology to everyone affected by this avoidable incident. We cannot afford to allow even an isolated breakdown in our system to compromise that fundamental commitment.
“As a result, I immediately started gathering facts about this situation. I very much appreciate the assistance of many senior administrators, especially Athletic Director Gary Barta, as we worked to get a better understanding of facts. I have completed my extensive inquiry and am confident we have developed remedies addressing the breakdowns that occurred.”
The following changes will be effective immediately:
- The university will conduct a detailed review of all hiring processes, starting with the department of athletics, to ensure units are being compliant with accepted practices for the vetting and hiring of job applicants;
- The university will launch an internal audit that will be charged with closely examining processes in the areas of student-athlete advising services and compliance;
- Supervision for student-athlete advising services in the department of athletics will report to the provost and athletic director for at least two years;
- Supervision of the compliance operations in the department of athletics will report to the general counsel and athletic director for at least two years;
- All individuals in advising service and compliance operations will be required to take additional sexual harassment training. Such training is mandated for all UI employees.
The university will not publicly discuss the disciplinary actions that pertain to the specific employees involved.