Lady M traces the trajectory of madness
Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The University Theatres Mainstage season will open with Lady M, adapted and directed by Master of Fine Arts graduate student Matt Hawkins, at 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 11, in the David Thayer Theatre of the University of Iowa Theatre Building. Other performances will be at 8 p.m. Oct. 12, 13, and 17-20, and at 2 p.m. Sundays, Oct. 14 and 21.

Lady M is the story of Shakespeare's Macbeth through the eyes of Lady Macbeth. This visually stunning and violent production follows Lady Macbeth's descent into madness and explores, from her point of view, how her decisions will forever haunt her soul.

Lady
Lady M rehearsal

In an intimate theatrical setting, this newly interpreted and streamlined adaptation of the well known tragedy places you inside her haunted mind, using Shakespeare's original verse (not always coming out of the mouths you expect) to explore ambition, power, greed, and heartache.

Hawkins, who worked in Chicago for 10 years as an actor, director, fight choreographer, and founding member of the House Theatre, explains, “I love Shakespeare's play Macbeth, and the character of Lady Macbeth has always stood out to me. When I've seen or read the play I've always wondered: Why does Lady Macbeth go to such great lengths to get what she wants? Why is she so desperate to achieve her goals for her husband? What happened to her character before the story in the play begins?

“The sleep-walking scene, in particular, has always been intriguing to me and it made me wonder: How does Lady Macbeth get to that place? Why, specifically, does she lose her mind? In the original text of Shakespeare’s Macbeth, her journey to that place is somewhat short and swift. I wanted to make sense of that journey. I wanted to experience the story from her point of view. I wanted to explore the story of Macbeth through the eyes of Lady Macbeth to really understand this woman on a human level.”

This production contains material of an adult nature. Potential audience members who are concerned about whether it is appropriate for them should contact the Department of Theatre Arts, 319-335-2700, for additional details.

Tickets are $17, $12 for senior citizens, $10 for youth 17 and younger, and $5 for UI students with a valid UI ID.

Tickets are available through the Hancher Box Office in the Old Capitol Town Center, 319-335–1160, 1–800– HANCHER,

The Department of Theatre Arts is an academic unit of the Division of Performing Arts in the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. For a UI arts calendar and details about upcoming events, visit the new Arts Iowa website.