Thoughts from an award-winning student advisor and alumni programmer
Monday, July 16, 2012

So what do you do here?

At the UI Alumni Association, I coordinate our Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow (S.T.A.T.) organization, advise our S.T.A.T. Ambassadors leadership group, and develop engaging programs for young alumni.

What do you enjoy most about working in a higher education setting?

The amazing energy of the students. They keep me on my toes and always pondering the possibilities. Many times it is easier to say “No, that’s not going to work” without giving the ideas a chance. But students aren’t afraid to try new things, and this keeps my job exciting and interesting.

Take us through your most memorable day at the university.

That definitely would be our recent “Dodging for Dreams” S.T.A.T. Dodgeball Tournament in Kinnick Stadium. This was an idea that my student, Ryan Klatt, suggested during a brainstorm and we said, “Why not?!” About 300 participants came to play in the rain and raised $3,000 in support of Dance Marathon and the UI Children’s Hospital.

For me, the most memorable moment came when I realized the event proceeded without a hitch. I had prepped Ryan to accept that something usually goes wrong with a program—especially in its first year—and to just stay calm and roll with it. He was happy to remind me that nothing went wrong.

What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken—and did it pay off?

Saying “yes” to the Dodgeball in Kinnick idea. I could see so many ways for it not to work, but with Ryan’s dedication and a great partnership with UI Athletics, we made it happen! I also took a huge risk when I enrolled as a full-time graduate student while maintaining my full-time job at the UIAA. Thanks to the support of my family and the amazing people in the University of Iowa’s higher education program, I was able to push through the curriculum in two years and receive a master’s degree in May.

If you could spend a day with anyone, from any era, who would it be and why?

Elizabeth Blackwell, the first American female to earn a medical degree. She became my idol when I was a little girl after my mom told me the story of how she fought for the admission of women into medical schools.

If you could have a song written about you, who would perform it, and what would it be called?

“Impossible is Possible” by the Beatles.

If you could get rid of one invention in the world, what would you choose? Why?

Reality television. Although it may be entertaining, it’s such a waste of time.

Name five of your favorite things.

• Taking walks with my awesome partner, Steve Prideaux, and my Chihuahua, Chloe
  • The color green
  • Local, organic food—especially when prepared at Atlas
  • Spending time with my family, particularly my nieces and nephews
  • Visiting my best friends in all their great cities across the United States