shuster educates, empowers via scholarship, service, social justice
Wednesday, April 11, 2012

stef shuster recalls the frustration experienced when filling out the Institutional Review Board (IRB) application to conduct graduate research.

“It was very formulaic, and so many of the questions were constructed in a binary way,” says the 29-year-old University of Iowa doctoral student in sociology who is conducting research on transgender communities and identities—and whose name is intentionally lowercase.

So when the form asked what percentage of the human subjects shuster interviewed were female or male, shuster was stumped.

“How do I fill that out when some of the people whom I interviewed identified as neither?” shuster says. “Life is full of nuance, ambiguity, and complexity.”

stef shuster self-portrait
Self-portrait courtesy of stef shuster.

shuster understands there are more than two genders. While many people can only think in binary terms of boy or girl, black or white, shuster explains there are infinite ways for human beings to express gender that have nothing to do with one’s anatomical makeup.

And it’s not just IRB forms that pose a challenge.

“Every form I fill out forces me to identify as either male or female,” says shuster, who identifies as neither. “I’m trans-identified, which means that I don’t limit or define who I am by gender. So on the last U.S. Census form, I hand-scrawled in and marked my own little transgender box.”

Yet much of the world forces shuster to do just that—medical forms, bathrooms, job applications. And salutations such as “Ladies and gentlemen” leave shuster feeling excluded, invisible.

But instead of accepting the status quo, shuster is changing it one presentation, paper, and conversation at a time.

Since arriving on the UI campus in 2007, shuster has become a major advocate and academic on transgender communities. shuster is also serving a second term as UI Graduate Student Senate president, and is co-founder of TransCollaborations, a university and community group that provides education, support, and advocacy for the transgender community. The group’s website serves as a critical resource and an element of shuster’s research, providing a way for trans-folks to network and find support and resources.

In recognition of these efforts, shuster will receive the UI student Catalyst Diversity Award April 12. shuster was also recently honored with the Jane Weiss Dissertation Memorial Scholarship at the UI Celebration of Achievement and Excellence among Women and a Distinguished Student Leader Award at the 95th Anniversary Finkbine Dinner.

And though there’s still work to be done, shuster sees tangible progress in creating a more inclusive and welcoming community for transgender individuals.

Why did you choose the UI to pursue your Ph.D.?

I knew that I loved doing research, and I thought that I’d like teaching, but I also wanted to do activism. My advisor at Indiana told me that I had to choose either being an activist or an academic. But I disagreed, and ultimately found that the UI would allow me to do both. What I also liked about Iowa is that it was a smaller program and the faculty have fairly different research interests than me, which I see as a strength. When people have such different interests, it really changes the way conversations go—everybody is contributing their different way of understanding the world and their research. As an interdisciplinary-oriented person, that made sense in my head.

Tell me some of the highlights of your research as a UI graduate student?

Before I came here, I had a fairly solid idea of what I wanted to do with a Ph.D. in the area of research. I was pretty much on the track of sexuality, social movements/organizations, and gender.

My research is kind of two parts. The interviews are more like accounting for what’s happening right now, and then there’s the historical aspect. I spent last summer in the Kinsey Institute Archives looking through narratives from trans-folks from the 1950s through the 1980s. It’s almost like the archive work helps me situate, from a historical perspective, comparing where we were and where we are now.

I spent a couple of years between undergraduate and starting a graduate program doing field research for companies and then also working as a full-time staff member at a social science research organization. I started thinking, “What social science research exists on trans people?” And I started looking, and I was slightly horrified. It was really bad, shoddy, from the 1980s, early ’90s where a researcher went out and spoke with five people and then published 20 articles and called themselves experts.