Senior nursing student has unquenchable thirst for knowledge, life
Monday, April 29, 2013

So what do you do here?

I’m a senior in the College of Nursing’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) program. Between classes from two different majors (international studies is my other major), work, senior nursing internship, and extracurricular activities, I manage to stay out of trouble.

What do you enjoy most about working in a higher education setting?

It’s been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I am always craving new knowledge and skills. Grad school is definitely in my future plans. I actually plan to go to school until my body and mind can’t handle it anymore!

Take us through your most memorable day at the university.

Every day is memorable! Mondays are a marathon. I wake up at 6:30 a.m. in order to catch the Coralville city bus and get to class in the College of Nursing Building (CNB) by 8 a.m. I attend classes in the CNB until 4 p.m. then head across the river where I have a class for my international studies major. It’s around 9:30 p.m. before I get back on the bus and head home.

Tuesday through Friday I have nursing internship in the morning and classes and meetings in the afternoon. Otherwise, I’m usually studying at Hardin Library or a coffee shop.

What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken—and did it pay off?

In summer 2012, I conducted an international research project at Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital, in Mbarara, Uganda. During the 12 weeks I was there, I worked with a physician mentor to develop and conduct a qualitative research study with the purpose of exploring knowledge, attitude, and beliefs about sickle-cell anemia (SCA) among parents and relatives of children with the disease. I’d have to say that summer conducting SCA research in Uganda was the bravest decision I ever made…and I definitely think it paid off.

If you could spend a day with anyone, from any era, who would it be and why?

My mother. She died in a tragic car accident when I was 17 years old. If I could spend another day with her, I would tell her all that has happened in my life since she's been gone, and then I would say goodbye, which I never got to do.

If you could have a song written about you, who would perform it, and what would it be called?

It would be performed by Rihanna and it would be called "Rainbows"

If you could get rid of one invention in the world, what would you choose? Why?

Weapons (guns, bombs, etc.) because they create so much destruction in the world. They're used to do more bad than good.

Name five of your favorite things.

• Traveling. I don't have a favorite place per se. I just like to travel to different parts of the world and experience new things. The thing I like most about traveling is that every place I go adds a new and unique experience to my life.
  • The sound of water/waves. I love to go to places where there are big open bodies of water and just listen.
  • Music. R&B, pop, soft rock, gospel, international music, etc. I just love music. I think it’s the best therapy so I listen to anything and everything.
  • Ugali (an East/Central African dish made of maize flower)
  • Reading about African history. Lately I have been very into post-colonial literature related to Africa. Though I did my early years of education in the Congo, I didn't learn much about the history of the country (e.g., how it became colonized by Belgium). The education system was pretty bad and history wasn't taught properly. Anyway, now I am in a country with more educational resources that I could ever ask for, so I try to take advantage of that and educate myself on subjects that matter to me.