UI flood update for July 6, 2014
Main Page Content
University of Iowa officials said Sunday they are continuing to monitor the weather, but with a favorable forecast and improving conditions at the Coralville reservoir, attention will begin to shift next week toward assessing costs related to recent flood protection measures.
While those measures remain in place, officials remind the public that tampering with flood barriers is prohibited, constitutes trespassing, and may compromise their effectiveness. People should also avoid construction areas, flood barriers, closed roadways and walkways near the Iowa River because of the unpredictability of the rising water.
There is no new information to report Sunday. Here is the latest official information about flood preparation efforts at the University of Iowa.
- Normal, including University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (all locations), all classes, camps, and other campus activities
Closures and service changes
- Mayflower Residence Hall closed
- Art Building West closed
- Beckwith Boat House closed
- East and west sidewalks along Iowa River closed
- All southbound and northbound lanes of North Dubuque Street closed from Foster Road to Park Road
- CAMBUS service to Mayflower suspended
- Iowa Memorial Union footbridge closed (alternative route: cross river via Burlington Avenue, Iowa Avenue, or Park Road bridges)
- Iowa Memorial Union south metered lot closed
- Hancher footbridge closed (alternative route: cross river via Burlington Avenue, Iowa Avenue, or Park Road bridges)
- UI Motor Pool daily rental vehicle operation has moved into the CAMBUS maintenance facility on Madison Street. The Fleet Services administrative offices are moving into the lower level of the Iowa Memorial Union parking ramp.
- 12-foot HESCO barrier at Mayflower Residence Hall (completed)
- 4-foot HESCO barriers along east and west banks of Iowa River (completed)
- Clearing construction materials and leveling ground for placement of HESCOs on east side near IMU and Iowa Advanced Technology Laboratory(completed)
- Sandbagging/HESCO placement at Water Plant intake and around Power Plant to south (completed)
- Close bulkheads in underground steam system tunnels (completed)
- Plugging/pumping storm sewers (as needed)
Class, camp and event cancelations
Visitors to campus should avoid the I-80/Dubuque Street exit (Exit 244). Those traveling from the east on I-80 are encouraged to take the Dodge Street Exit (Exit 246). Those traveling from the west on I-80, as well as those trying to reach UI Hospitals and Clinics and athletics facilities, are encouraged to take the 1st Avenue Exit (Exit 242). Local traffic should also avoid North Dubuque Street until further notice.
The Iowa Department of Transportation has closed Highway 22 between Kalona and Wellman because of flooding of the English River. View Iowa DOT Traveler Information at http://www.511ia.org/and follow travel announcements for the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area on Twitter at https://twitter.com/iowacity511
The UI will provide this flood update around 1 p.m. daily, seven days a week, until further notice. For previous updates and other UI flood-related information, visit http://now.uiowa.edu/flood2014and follow Twitter (@uiowa, #UIFloodUpdate14).