UI flood update for July 4, 2014
Main Page Content
With flood prevention measures in place, University of Iowa officials said Friday the plan now is to watch the weather and be ready to respond if the situation changes dramatically.
As a safety precaution, people are strongly encouraged to avoid construction areas, flood barriers, and walkways near the Iowa River because of the unpredictability of the rising water. Tampering with flood barriers is prohibited, constitutes trespassing and may compromise their effectiveness.
Here is the latest official information about flood preparation efforts at the University of Iowa. New or updated information is in bold.
- Normal, including University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (all locations), all classes, camps, and other campus activities
Closures and service changes
- Beckwith Boat House and Mayflower Residence Hall closed
- East and west sidewalks along Iowa River closed
- All southbound and northbound lanes of North Dubuque Street closed from Foster Road to Park Road
- CAMBUS service to Mayflower suspended
- Art Building West closed
- The southbound lane of Riverside Drive, closed for installation of a flood wall at Art Building West, has reopened, allowing two-way traffic to resume.
- Lot 42 adjacent to Art Building West reopened as well as normal access to College of Public Health. All other lots and parking facilities operating normally.
- Iowa Memorial Union footbridge closed (alternative route: cross river via Burlington Avenue, Iowa Avenue, or Park Road bridges)
- Iowa Memorial Union south metered lot closed
- Hancher footbridge closed (alternative route: cross river via Burlington Avenue, Iowa Avenue, or Park Road bridges)
- UI Motor Pool daily rental vehicle operation has moved into the CAMBUS maintenance facility on Madison Street. The Fleet Services administrative offices are now in the lower level of the Iowa Memorial Union parking ramp.
- 12-foot HESCO barrier at Mayflower Residence Hall (completed)
- 4-foot HESCO barriers along east and west banks of Iowa River (completed)
- HESCOs on east side near Iowa Memorial Unionand Iowa Advanced Technology Laboratory (completed)
- Sandbagging/HESCO placement at Water Plant intake and around Power Plant to south (completed)
- Close bulkheads in underground steam system tunnels (completed)
- Plugging/pumping storm sewers (as needed)
Class, camp and event cancelations
- Visitors to campus should avoid the I-80/Dubuque Street exit (Exit 244). Those traveling from the west on I-80 are encouraged to take the Dodge Street Exit (Exit 246). Those traveling from the east on I-80, as well as those trying to reach UI Hospitals and Clinics and athletics facilities, are encouraged to take the 1st Avenue Exit (Exit 242). Local traffic should also avoid North Dubuque Street until further notice.
- The Iowa Department of Transportation has closed Highway 22 between Kalona and Wellman because of flooding of the English River. View Iowa DOT Traveler Information at http://www.511ia.org/and follow travel announcements for the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area on Twitter at https://twitter.com/iowacity511
The UI will provide this flood update around 1 p.m. daily, seven days a week, until further notice. For previous updates and other UI flood-related information, visit http://now.uiowa.edu/flood2014and follow Twitter (@uiowa, #UIFloodUpdate14).