UI flood update for July 2, 2014
Main Page Content
Updated at 4 p.m. July 2, 2014
Here is the latest official information about flood preparation efforts at the University of Iowa. As a safety precaution, people are strongly encouraged to avoid construction areas and walkways near the Iowa River.
- Normal, including all classes, camps and other campus activities
Closures and service changes
- Beckwith Boat House and Mayflower Residence Hall closed
- East and west sidewalks along Iowa River closed
- Northbound lanes of North Dubuque Street closed
- CAMBUS service to Mayflower suspended
- Southbound lane of Riverside Drive (for flood wall installation at Art Building West) closed
- Lot 42 adjacent closed (for flood wall installation at Art Building West). Alternate parking in Hancher lot; College of Public Health access via Ferson Avenue.
- Iowa Memorial Union footbridge closed
- Iowa Memorial Union south metered lot closed
- Hancher footbridge closed
- UI Motor Pool daily rental vehicle operation has moved into the CAMBUS maintenance facility on Madison Street. The Fleet Services administrative offices are moving into the lower level of the Iowa Memorial Union parking ramp.
- 12-foot HESCO barrier at Mayflower Residence Hall (completed)
- 4-foot HESCO barriers along east and west banks of Iowa River (in process)
- Clearing construction materials and leveling ground for placement of HESCOs on east side near IMU and Iowa Advanced Technology Laboratory (in process)
- Sandbagging/HESCO placement at Water Plant intake and around Power Plant to south (in process)
- Plugging/pumping storm sewers (as needed)
Class, camp and event cancellations
- Visitors to campus should avoid the I-80/Dubuque Street exit (Exit 244). Those traveling from the west on I-80 are encouraged to take the Dodge Street Exit (Exit 246). Those traveling from the east on I-80, as well as those trying to reach UI Hospitals and Clinics and athletics facilities, are encouraged to take the 1st Avenue Exit (Exit 242). Local traffic should also avoid North Dubuque Street until further notice.
- The Iowa Department of Transportation has closed Highway 22 between Kalona and Wellman because of flooding of the English River. View Iowa DOT Traveler Information at http://www.511ia.org/ and follow travel announcements for the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area on Twitter at https://twitter.com/iowacity511
The UI will provide this flood update around 1 p.m. daily, seven days a week, until further notice. For previous updates and other UI flood-related information, visit http://now.uiowa.edu/flood2014 and follow Twitter (@uiowa, #UIFloodUpdate14