UI Children's Hospital announces 2014 Kid Captains
Main Page Content
A former Kid Captain shows off the official jersey. File photo courtesy of UI Children's Hospital.
Hawkeye football wouldn’t be the same at University of Iowa Children’s Hospital without a stellar team of Kid Captains kicking off each week, and this year’s team is up to the job.
Fifteen current and former UI Children’s Hospital patients will take their turn representing the hospital and serving as Kid Captain during the Iowa Hawkeyes’ 2014 football season.
Going into its sixth year, the Kid Captain program is a partnership between UI Children's Hospital and the Iowa Hawkeyes to honor pediatric patients and celebrate their inspirational stories. This year's Kid Captains were selected from a field of 345 nominations from nine states.
“These children are truly representative of the strength and determination present in all of our young patients,” says Raphael Hirsch, physician-in-chief of UI Children’s Hospital. “These children and their families model the inspiration we all receive from their courage as they face some very tough battles.”
“I’m sure I’m speaking for everyone in wishing this year’s Kid Captains all the best, and offering a hearty ‘Congratulations’ to each of the patients and their families. We thank them all for allowing us to share their remarkable stories,” Hirsch says.
Children selected as 2014 Kid Captains are:
- Joseph Burken, 8, DeWitt, Iowa
- Liam Feeley, 10, West Des Moines, Iowa
- Treytun Garcia, 12, Ottumwa, Iowa
- Caitlyn Hill, 11, Iowa City, Iowa
- Faith LeMaster, 10, Ankeny, Iowa
- Matthew McCarthy, 9, Marion, Iowa
- Marijka Michmershuizen, 11, Pella, Iowa
- Rylan Mohr, 8, Hudson, Iowa
- Noah Mulder, 14, Isaiah Mulder, 11, and Elijah Mulder, 8, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Margaret Schafer, 13, Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Maree Scholl, 11, Mason City, Iowa
- Aidan Smith, 8, Council Bluffs, Iowa
- Charlotte Wagaman, 2, Keokuk, Iowa
All Kid Captains and their families will be invited to Kids Day at Kinnick Stadium on Aug. 16 for a special behind-the-scenes tour. Each child’s story will be highlighted during the football season.
Visit www.uichildrens.org/kidcaptain for more information on the 2014 Kid Captains.