Media advisory: Hawkeye Caucus Day in Des Moines April 2
Main Page Content
WHAT: Hawkeye Caucus Day, a major event connecting students with state leaders and showcasing people and programs making an impact across Iowa
WHERE: Iowa State Capitol, first-floor rotunda; east 9th St. and Grand Ave., Des Moines
WHEN: Wednesday, April 2, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
WHO: University of Iowa students, alumni, leaders, and representatives from dozens of UI colleges, departments, and programs
WHY: Hawkeye Caucus Day is a major, once-a-year gathering of UI students, university leaders, and state legislators, showcasing the university’s commitment to statewide service.
- About 115 students will meet legislators and gain firsthand perspective on state government.
- Nearly 50 UI programs—including the Iowa Flood Center, wind energy research, and initiatives from the arts, sciences, health care, and humanities—will introduce their work.
- A live video feed from campus will showcase teaching and collaboration in the university’s new Learning Commons.
- UI administrators, faculty, and student leaders will be available for interview throughout the event.
- A 10-foot inflatable Herky will take center stage in the rotunda, while the mascot himself hobnobs with state leaders.
VIDEO: Download interviews with participating students and video from the event at the capitol at focus.media.uiowa.edu/shares/mediadrop/. Student interviews will be available starting Monday, March 31. Video from the capitol will be available by early Wednesday afternoon.
PHOTOS: Find photos of students with their local legislators—as well as other pictures from the event—at bit.ly/1l1vQWS. Photos will be posted throughout the day Wednesday as they become available.
HOMETOWN NEWS: Look for emails from ReadMedia about local UI students participating in the event, or find participants at uiowa.meritpages.com.
HASHTAG: Follow #imwithherky for news from the event on Twitter and Instagram, and use the hashtag when posting to join the conversation.
MORE INFO: Find news from Hawkeye Caucus Day at now.uiowa.edu (search keyword “hawkeye caucus.” Learn more about the Hawkeye Caucus at hawkeyecaucus.com.