Thursday, February 27, 2014

Letter to the editor of The Daily Iowan

Feb. 24, 2014

Editor:

Several members of our campus community have let me know that my remarks on sexual assault printed last week in The Daily Iowan were hurtful. I did not intend them to be, and I am sorry for the pain my words caused.

I want to make my position clear. I believe that there is no excuse for sexual assault. I have zero tolerance for sexual misconduct, and I know that sexual assault is never the fault of the survivor.

The safety and wellbeing of every student is an absolute priority. The university will do everything in its power to prevent sexual violence, support survivors, and hold offenders responsible, and I invite all members of our campus to play a role in confronting this issue.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions that I have received. I will convene a listening session in the near future so that students, staff, and faculty can share their views directly with me and other campus leaders.(Note: The listening session will take place Thursday, Feb. 27, 3:30 p.m. in the second-floor ballroom of the Iowa Memorial Union.)

Sincerely,
Sally K. Mason
President
The University of Iowa