UI Children's Hospital announces 2013 Kid Captains
Main Page Content
Fourteen current and former University of Iowa Children’s Hospital patients will get a chance to shine on game day during the Iowa Hawkeyes' 2013 football season as they serve as this year’s Kid Captains.
Now in its fifth year, the Kid Captain program is a partnership between UI Children's Hospital and the Iowa Hawkeyes to honor UI Children's Hospital patients and celebrate their inspirational stories. This year's Kid Captains were selected from a field of 462 nominations.
“It brings us all great joy to highlight each of our Kid Captains every year. These remarkable youngsters are an inspiration to us all,” says Raphael Hirsch, M.D., physician-in-chief of UI Children’s Hospital. “Each of these patients and their families are portraits of courage and determination with stories of strength and perseverance.”
“On behalf of the entire pediatric health care team I’d like to say ‘Congratulations’ to this year’s Kid Captains. A special ‘thank you’ is also in order for the patients’ families for letting us share their remarkable stories,” Hirsch says.
A 12-person multi-disciplinary committee of clinical care staff and professional staff selected the 2013 Kid Captains.
Children selected as Kid Captains for the 2013 home games are:
- Carson Thomas, 13, Washington, Iowa
- Michaela Inman, 13, Ankeny, Iowa
- Myles Peterman, 13, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Alex Kirby, 15, and Molly Kirby, 17, Eldora, Iowa
- Grace Lidgett, 8, Traer, Iowa
- Mason Shepherd, 8, Ottumwa, Iowa
- Zach Zwirlein, 12, Coal Valley, Ill.
Children selected as honorary Kid Captains for away games are:
- Stella Turnbull, 6, Pella, Iowa
- Emma Miller, 5, Oelwein, Iowa
- Kyleigh Burlingame, 5, Webster City, Iowa
- Aidan Hanson, 7, Estherville, Iowa
- Dylan Holub, 6, Springville, Iowa
- Krystal Robertson, 6, Davenport, Iowa
All Kid Captains and their families will be invited to Kids Day at Kinnick Stadium in August for a special behind-the-scenes tour. Each child’s story will be highlighted during the football season.
Visit www.uichildrens.org/kidcaptain for more information on the 2013 Kid Captains.